We strive to:
Address the Most Critical Need of Eligible Clients
Community legal needs exceed our capacity to help. GHLA integrates community perspectives with legal analysis to identify priorities.
Provide High Quality, Efficient Legal Services
Our lawyers adopt practices and standards that support effective legal representation. We treat clients with dignity and respect.
We consider all feasible solutions and remedies. We offer legal information and guidance when we cannot provide representation.
Promote Equality of Access
We provide eligible people an equal opportunity to obtain service on priority matters.
Maximize the Long Term Benefits of Program Advocacy
We choose cases and public policy issues that can offer long term systemic benefits to those living in poverty.
Coordinate and Expand Resources to Meet Priority Client Needs
We work with attorneys, social services, community groups, and others to provide more priority legal services. We use technology and innovation to increase the number of clients we serve.
For those living in poverty we advocate to:
- Help tenants avoid homelessness
- Preserve options for decent and affordable housing
- Enhance the safety of family violence victims
- Increase opportunities for an adequate public school education
- Maintain workers’ employment & related income
- Increase access to employment opportunities
- Seek federal immigration protection for battered immigrants
- Preserve government benefits and access to health care
- Protect the health, safety and self-determination of seniors